Friday, May 25, 2007

Smell the coffee, yellow bills and forecast.

1. He Who Shall Not Be Named asks me to make the coffee because he knows I like opening a new vacuum pack to hear it hiss and smell the coffee. Once it's cut open, it gets passed round the office so everyone can have a sniff.

2. Two male blackbirds hanging around on the roof. They were one of the first birds I learnt to identify -- they are black with bright orange beaks.

3. The Future is Wild with its promises of flying fish birds and arboreal squid. That's programmes later on the DVD -- last night I saw gannets that had evolved until they were as bit as walruses; and burrowing quails that sang to each other in their dark tunnels.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...