Thursday, November 23, 2006

Watching for mother, swift Douglas and Newfoundland

1. A little girl peering round the school gate watching her mother walking back to the car.

2. Every lunchtime Douglas drops in on us on his way to the shower so we can tell him how wonderful he is for going out running in his lunch hour.

3. The Shipping News -- this time the film version. It's one of my favourite books ever for the eccentric local newspaper and because it is the story of a man learning that he is allowed to be happy. The film is fantastic -- it looks exactly like the pictures I imagined while reading book.

7 comments:

  1. Annie Proulx wrote (at least some) of "The Shipping News" at the Valhalla guest home in St. Anthony. This information comes to me via "An Innocent in Newfoundland" by David McFadden. I think the film was shot in and around Trinity Bay, a less remote community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Shipping News. Annie Proulx's description of Mrs Buggit stays with me: "She had a voice built up from calling into the wind and stating strong opinions".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire: I love every single entry of your blog. It´s like a caress to the soul. Thank you from Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful when movies are faithful to the books they attempt to respect?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear the film is a good one! I've never read the book but I picked up the DVD at the library yesterday and have yet to watch it. Now I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also enjoyed the movie of The Shipping News. I would have loved to have written it! Haven't read the book though, so that's an idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My all time favourite book and the film is superb too

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.