Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pillow book, breathing space and rewards of virtue.

1. All day I have to hand The Pillow Book of Sei Shōnagon. It is a collection of lists and notes about life as lady-in-waiting in 10th century Japan. She still seems so alive a thousand years later.

2. It is a day with plenty of space between each happening.

3. I am annoyed at having to unpick so many stitches -- again -- but I feel better for doing it, knowing that later on I needn't fudge the pattern to make it fit.

3 comments:

  1. had my tbt fix now off to make my own poetry with camera to old disused church.
    check out lotte reiniger on youtube lovely old animation
    need nice teenager t show me how to crate link to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Den, thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of these -- how lovely.

    Here are some films of Lotte Reiniger on YouTube. Please check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if you had found The Pillowbook. There is much in your postings that reminds me of Sei Shonagon's writing. It amazed me how her voice speaks so beautifully from so many years ago.
    You may also love a book called The Ink Dark Moon which includes poems by her and two other women.
    We have blue sky and heavy hearts here today. The two can sometimes go together.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.