Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Better than rubies, bakewell and out on the Common.

1. I'm about to put the bed linen out on the line for the first time this year when I remember a piece of advice given to me by Anna, one of my university housemates (she got it from her mother): "Wipe the washing line with a damp cloth." Looking at the cloth afterwards, I'm awfully glad I called the incident to mind.

2. This bakewell tart is still warm from the oven.

3. Alec and I take a walk across the Common. I show him the walled up gentleman's conveniences where the bats live; and the pond where the frogs are spawning. This is an aspect of parenthood I really like -- walking around showing someone all the cool and interesting stuff you know.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...