Sunday, March 06, 2011

Running water, under orders and hot cross buns.

1. It is 7.30am on a Saturday, and I am sitting on the bed in Nick's study. My small son is bawling, red and rigid and I don't know why. I have fed him (at 2am, 5am and 7am), changed him, winded him and walked about holding him every which way. I remember reading about baths being good for crying babies, so I take him down to the bathroom and turn the taps on. He falls silent and the furious red flush drains from his head. By the time the bath is full, he is smiling at me.

2. Looking at our life now, I remember a quip I heard during my classics degree:
-- Who rules Greece?
-- Athens.
-- Who rules the Athens?
-- Themistocles.
-- Who rules Themistocles?
-- Themistocles' wife.
-- Who rules Themistocles' wife?
-- Themistocles' baby son.

3. The spicy smell of hot cross buns toasting, and thinking about spreading mine with butter.

3 comments:

  1. good idea about the bath - isn't it amazing how our lives are taken over, how we plan for that and want it but how it still seems to come as a surprise. Babies do take over your life completely - but there is life afterwards! ('children' may grow up but even when they are very large and 'independant' they still continue to take up a large part of your thoughts, heart and time - or maybe that's just me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes new babies just feel like crying - after all, it's about the only thing they can choose to do. It must be hard not to have any other means of communication.

    Now I have a 15 month old who can point, and babble, and make it quite clear he wants another piece of cheese rather than his vegetables. I am torn between giving him what he wants, feigning ignorance, or laughing at his haughty insistence.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.