Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The sleep, empty day and a novel.

1. Oversleeping by an hour and a half.

2. Having a whole day ahead of me with nothing in it -- it was my first official day off work (not counting Christmas) since I got back from Africa last year.

3. A good stretch of reading, in which I finish the Anonymous Lawyer novel. I've really enjoyed it as a metafiction -- the story is told by blog entries and by emails about the blog entries. The blog entries often tell an intriguingly different story to the emails. And I've really enjoyed the way I ended up feeling sympathy for an unlikeable character with values very different from my own.

Bud vase, tomato and the poem I needed to hear.

1. Among the faded cut daffodils that I'm putting on the compost heap there is one that will do for another day in a bud vase. 2. For th...