Friday, April 30, 2021
Thursday, April 29, 2021
Wednesday, April 28, 2021
Tuesday, April 27, 2021
Monday, April 26, 2021
Friday, April 23, 2021
Thursday, April 22, 2021
Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Monday, April 19, 2021
Friday, April 16, 2021
Thursday, April 15, 2021
1. The curled buds of tulips hiding among the leaves.
2. To my surprise, Alec says he'd like to come with me.
3. Bettany's dance camp can't do the usual end of session show, but they perform one of the dances -- 'Stick it to the Man' from School of Rock in the car park, and it's glorious to see how much a good teacher can achieve in two days.
Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Tuesday, April 13, 2021
1. The moment between opening the blind to see unexpected snow and realising that it is going to spoil your plans for the day.
2. Bettany has made orange jelly with peaches in it for supper pudding.
3. I get the giggles during writing group.
Monday, April 12, 2021
1. To snip off a few dead hyacinth heads in the garden.
2. Alec announces that he will be taking a bath this evening. And can he listen to a podcast. He suggests I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, and promises that all the rude jokes go over his head.
3. To have spent an entire weekend focusing on my own writing with a Solus Or virtual retreat.
Friday, April 09, 2021
Thursday, April 08, 2021
Wednesday, April 07, 2021
Tuesday, April 06, 2021
1. To put on my shoes and leave the house.
2. Is that snow?
3. Lloyd Alexander's The Book of Three is excruciatingly slow to start, as tedious Prince Gwydion infodumps a load of nation-level back story and central casting farmboy Taran moans about his identity crisis. As I read it to the children I can see why Alec has abandoned it. But then Gurgi and Eilonwy turn up, and the story seems to come alive. I think it's the character-level conflict: poor Taran can hardly bring himself to associate with either of them, but he has to, or he can't move forward -- and it's like the lights have gone on in the story.
Monday, April 05, 2021
1. To eat large pieces of Easter egg for breakfast.
2. My parents come to visit for the first time in over a year to sit in the garden, drink Champagne and see how much the children have grown.
3. In the April woods, still bare but so very nearly in leaf, to see the children running about among the trees, now behind us, now ahead.
Friday, April 02, 2021
Thursday, April 01, 2021
1. Bringing donations to the charity shop with Nick to carry the awkward things. 2. Sending an edit back when I have very little to say, ex...
Today a special guest post by Nick... 1. My wife's courage and stamina as she painfully brings our baby into this world. I'm so prou...
1. This week there are green-orange leaves caught in the water gully. 2. He comes up to ask me how scary is The Haunting of Hill House, wh...
1. She brings soft almond cakes for pudding. 2. In the fridge I have a jug of lemon iced tea. 3. Sifting compost as the evening cools.