Friday, October 15, 2021
Thursday, October 14, 2021
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Monday, October 11, 2021
Thursday, October 07, 2021
1. The small parcel is a mystery: I'd forgotten that I ordered a skein of silver thread.
2. I push on with a story that I'm finding difficult. It was supposed to be a ghost story for Halloween and it's set in a world I'm not familiar with. I got feedback from a technical expert, and it became clear that it needed to be re-worked from the ground up. So I started again, and it was no longer a ghost story. So now I don't have a ghost story for Halloween. But get me: I knew what to do with the advice; I'm still working at my story; and I'm fairly sure that in due course, it's going to be a piece of work I can be proud of.
3. The pub has changed hands, and dinner is a lot posher than we were expecting -- small portions of perfect, exciting food made and served with careful attention to detail. My parents tell the manager that they are here in the 1960s and forgot to pay the bill so the landlord called their parents a couple of days later. He seems slightly astonished to think that people were eating there more than fifty years ago.
Wednesday, October 06, 2021
1. Playing with polybead clay we discover that some colours are willing to streeeetch into long cobwebby filaments.
2. Alec has come in from playing football and even after washing he has put mud on the towels. It's such a boyish thing that we don't have the heart to be annoyed even though the towels were new clean this morning.
3. The children are, apparently, so tired that they don't have it in them to argue about a new book. They quickly choose Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder, which I'm sure we've read before.
Tuesday, October 05, 2021
1. I could hear how very wet it was in the dark before dawn -- but now I walk to and from school the world seems new washed.
2. I do like being a parent helper at Cubs -- aid the leaders in their mission to get other people's children running around and over-excited. Also, learn about fire safety.
3. We stop in the darkest bit of the park and stare up through the trees at the stars.
Monday, October 04, 2021
1. On a clear evening to see Jupiter hanging just above the horizon. Alec, trying to get a picture, presses his new phone to the window.
2. I don't know why I fought so hard against reinstalling the printer. After that, it produces the perfect colour image that I wanted.
3. Douglas Adams once said that the only way to eat a ripe mango with dignity is to take off all your clothes and stand in a washing-up bowl. I realise I have one of those -- running with juice and tasting of coconut and resin as the best mangoes do -- as I am cutting it up for supper pudding. I contemplate putting the bowl in the fridge so Nick and I can enjoy it in peace after the children have gone to bed.
Friday, October 01, 2021
1. There is leftover curry for lunch, and Nick even finds a bit of meat that the children did not gobble up last night. 2. Just before bed, ...
Today a special guest post by Nick... 1. My wife's courage and stamina as she painfully brings our baby into this world. I'm so prou...
1. This week there are green-orange leaves caught in the water gully. 2. He comes up to ask me how scary is The Haunting of Hill House, wh...
1. She brings soft almond cakes for pudding. 2. In the fridge I have a jug of lemon iced tea. 3. Sifting compost as the evening cools.