Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One a penny two a penny, the words come and get out of here.

1. Seasonal food -- hot cross buns, I'm thinking of, full of sultanas and peel and spice. They are all the nicer because they only come at Eastertide.

2. I have been chewing my fingers and staring at the screen all morning; but the words won't come. Suddenly, just before I have to go to work, they tumble out and I write a page in ten minutes -- this is a huge relief.

3. There is no-where much to go at lunchtime if you can't afford to buy a coffee, so I sit on a bench in the shopping centre with a story magazine. It's amazing how the hurrying crowds around me disappear.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...