Friday, March 11, 2011

Altered state, for both of us and keeping warm.

1. Alec lies in his pram sucking on one fist while staring at the other. His surprised and wondering expression takes me back to an instructive afternoon in 1997 spent baking hash scones with a few of my university housemates. "Dude, look at my hand! It's... it's... so beautiful."

2. "And as you go down give the babies a tickle," says the yoga teacher. Alec seems to enjoy the kisses, and the stroking and the chance to grab my hair, and I enjoy doing something for me that includes him. As a new mother, I am told about four times a day (it seems, anyway) to make time for myself. I really do try, but I can't be away too long because of feeding; and I miss the little chap to the point where I count the minutes until I can go back to him. This yoga class is something for me that accepts Alec's presence, and welcomes him. I hope I can find more activities like this.

3. I settle back down under the covers and Nick wakes up long enough to tell me to warm myself against him.

Book treasure, worn and speaker.

1. Finding treasure in the Oxfam bookshop. I only popped in to look for a card. 2. Bettany doesn't wear makeup out and about, but noneth...