Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Birdsong, empty park and a warning.

1. Half awake I can't tell whether the birdsong is on the radio among the music or falling through the skylight.

2. It's still daylight when we come home from Cubs, but the sun is low. Bettany has a quick go on the swings in the empty park. She says she hasn't come here for ages because she doesn't like the crowds any more.

3. I swear I've never read this Agatha Christie book before, but there is a very familiar passage where a male doctor decides to fob off a female patient with a hard-to-find proprietary laxative in a tasteful salmon pink coating. When I read it previously, this passage struck me as well observed and skilfully conveyed, saying a lot about both about this character specifically and generally about a certain type of professional man. To me, at that time, it felt like a warning, woman to woman. Thanks, Mrs Christie.

Done, moon and Irish fairy tales.

1. A meeting that is over by 9.30am. 2. A big full moon is stuck on next door's chimney pots. 3. By my bed is a large and comforting boo...