Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Inheritance, sharing Baby and the old place.

1. When Caroline tells Jay it's time for a nappy change, he makes exactly the face that I remember his father Oli (who I worked with at the oast) making when he had to do a task he disliked.

2. Out of all the toys, the one they really want to play with is Alec's doll, Baby. Jay carries him round the garden, and then Elodie must have a go. She holds him to her shoulder and pats him on the back. And then it's Jay's turn again. Baby (playing the part of Little Mia) spends the afternoon at nursery in the sitting room. I can't bring myself to refer to him as her, which makes Elodie frown at me.

3. Elodie, who is nearly six, says she has enjoyed coming to Tunbridge Wells "where I spent my childhood".

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...