Monday, July 30, 2012

Sleepers, escape and besotted.

1. In the morning (after a night alone with Nick) when I go to look, Alec and my mother are sprawled asleep across her bed. Downstairs, my father is considering tea.
"How was it?" I ask him. I feel very guilty.
"It was fine, apart from the kicking. I think he woke up twice."

2. As soon as Alec is down for his morning nap, and as soon as the rain has stopped, and before anyone asks to come with us, Nick and I set out into the glistening forest to follow tracks in the mud, sniff the spicy pines and to find frogs under the dripping trees.

3. "Your mother says she is besotted."

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...