Friday, July 11, 2014

Glue, growing up and chore.

1. The packet of cheap glitter glue sticks I bought for the craft stash turn out to be excellent: the glue is brightly coloured and it really glitters. Even better, they are popular with Alec. He tries forming letters with them.

2. I've thought of a prize for Alec's next sticker chart (see right) and now the next thing to do is to involve the stakeholders in the list of tasks. I want to encourage him to do more stuff for himself -- I've seen him put his own shoes on, and he can do things like put his plate by the sink and put his scooter away -- so I ask him what grown-up things he wants to try. He thinks for a moment. "Well I could do lessons to learn to drive a car."

3. To sit in a coffee shop... and do a supermarket order. There was a time when I drafted most of a novel in a coffee shop, how things have changed. I don't mean just marriage and children. Then, I was writing on paper with a pencil; now I'm dabbing and swiping at a touch-screen, a thing that still seems like a miracle.

Before, filler and in the recycling.

1. Getting back just before the rain. 2. Smearing filler into wall holes. 3. We have had a collection of empty Prime bottles for a while now...