Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Pink geraniums, an hour out and treat.

1. On a shaded path through the woods, the glowing faces of tiny pink geraniums.

2. I spend an hour talking with the residents of a care home as part of their entertainments programme. I tell them about Three Beautiful Things, and then join the staff in helping them write cards to friends and relatives. I think my favourite was the man who asked me to write that he could not have hoped for a better son-in-law. I also liked writing out the Lord's Prayer for an elderly clergyman; and hearing an elderly lady's memories of watching Shirley Temple films with her sister and her mum, who would, afterwards, run up copies of the star's dresses, one in pink and one in blue.

3. Alec and I treat ourselves to a snack from the corner shop and a walk home across the common.

Wet, licking the bowl and homework.

1. Taking off my drenched trainers and socks. 2. I am not too thorough with the spatula, and once the pudding is in the oven, there's a ...