Saturday, April 25, 2009

Going goth, ooh sparkly and Tiny Tin Lady.

1. I like WoodburyPark Cemetery because on a bright blue sky day with a stiff breeze, it is restful to take some thoughts for a walk under the yew trees' light and shadows.

2. Katie-who-I-used-to-live-with shows me her engagement ring. I'm so glad to have her along on the bridal ride -- ever since school, I've always felt a lot better having her around at important milestones.

3. Tiny Tin Lady* came to Tunbridge Wells. Katie and I go down to The Forum to hear their girly folk music that manages to be both sweet and splendidly earthy at the same time. We loved the closing song -- which was inspired by a keg of beer and a rhyming dictionary. I think one reason I like them so much (apart from their magical harmonies) is that I'm aiming for that same spot between beautiful and not saccharine. It must be a very fine line for a bunch of very young women playing a genre mostly associated with beardy men.

* I first heard them back in August 2004, and I can't BELIEVE I didn't write about them then -- the lead singer was only about 13, and she was so overwhelmed by the Cropredy love that she cried; and I was smitten.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...