Thursday, May 20, 2010

Afternoon off, gardens and brightened.

1. I'm supposed to be working this afternoon -- and I have some proofing to do this morning, so I crack on and get it done. I get a call cancelling the work, and the afternoon is my own.

2. I take a flat viewer round to see the communal gardens -- we don't often use them because they are round the other side of the house, and pressed hard up against the other flats. Anyway, we prefer the company of our own plants. I'm always surprised at how pleasant the gardens are when I do go round -- handkerchief lawns with daisies, and flowering shrubs underplanted with bluebells.

3. To put a drooping, travel sick lettuce in a sink of water and a couple of hours later, take it out looking crisp and brisk.

Book treasure, worn and speaker.

1. Finding treasure in the Oxfam bookshop. I only popped in to look for a card. 2. Bettany doesn't wear makeup out and about, but noneth...