Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Pillows, against the rain and gaming table.

1. A parcel of new pillows arrives. They burst out like clouds of steam.

2. It can rain as hard as it likes: I'm in full waterproofs, and I've borrowed Alec's wellies.

3. I am so astonished by Tim's new gaming table -- which he has been keeping a secret since it was ordered in the summer -- that I gasp at each new revelation. First the top lifts off; next there's a green baize playing surface... that could be lifted off to reveal a map table... and then there are extra little tables to attach for your drink and your notebook; and a special desk for the GM, too. The whole smells pleasantly of new wood and polish.

Escape, tulips and samosa.

1. This morning, I'm piling into a car with friends to escape into the Weald, where we will visit a garden planted with 45,000 tulips. 2...