Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mewling, horrors and flowers.

1. Chatting to Cat on the phone and listening to my goddaughter crowing I began to feel quite broody. Suddenly, there was a spluttering noise... 'Oh, it's all right, just some posset, but we're used to that... oh darling, not in your hair... I'd better go.' And suddenly my wistful feelings for the miracle that is motherhood vanished.

2. Watching the second part of the excruciatingly exciting Dr Who two-parter, The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit. It combines Alien-style space opera horror with the old ancient-evil-released story. I liked the way Danny, who was basically a slavemaster, had the title of 'Ethics officer' and I enjoyed the philosophical problem posed by the Oud -- they are a slave race and if you don't give them orders, they just waste away. I loved the way all the one-off characters had little back stories -- why was the captain so afraid of being in charge? What happened to Jefferson's wife? Why was Ida Scott trying to escape from her father? What was the lie Danny told? I wonder if we'll ever find out? Also note that it came out in the week that we survived the date 6/6/2006 and the new Omen film. Devilish.

3. Damo does the flowers in his household. He gets them from the flower man outside Habitat and has built up such a good relationship that he often gets little extras.

Done, moon and Irish fairy tales.

1. A meeting that is over by 9.30am. 2. A big full moon is stuck on next door's chimney pots. 3. By my bed is a large and comforting boo...