Thursday, December 14, 2006

Chocolate, little angels and skis.

1. Remembering the two pieces of Toblerone in my lunch bag.

2. All the way down the road I spot white tinsel-edged gowns peeping out from beneath children's coats. At the bottom of the hill there is a long queue to get into the church where the nativity play is being performed.

3. One of the writers telling me that the pleasure in his winter holidays are not such much his own skiing any more but rather seeing his grandchildren skiing. This resonates particularly for me because I remember my own grandfather teaching me to ski, and the pleasure he got from just being in the Alps.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...