Thursday, May 05, 2011

Produce, transforming and beetroots.

1. When a friend asked if I would recommend our veggie box scheme, I gave her an unreserved yes because the produce is delicious and lasts the week and the random selection encourages us to eat more greenery. She ordered, and was kind enough to mention my name; and so they sent me a free box. This kind of open-handed generosity makes me like Abel and Cole very much indeed.

2. Poppy's eyes are turning from blue to brown. It's such a strange thing to see a person whose eyes are now blue and now brown that I can't stop looking at her. I rattle Alec's lion to get her to look up. She smiles coyly at me.

3. I chop one of the beetroots into a forkable salad dressed with balsamic vinegar. Its colour and the rough angles remind me of the dirty garnets I dug out of the roadside during my trip to Pakistan in 2001.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...