Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Quotation, measure and artist.

1. Years ago Bettany and I made a shrine box for Amelia Earhart. I'd forgotten what was inside it and when I dig around looking for her quote about shirts, I am surprised to find  a pack of cards with an early aviation theme, a dicast model of her plane, Bettany's certificate for doing a good presentation and some unfinished trading cards, one of which carries the quote in question. 

2. Today I am being measured for a bespoke shirt. It is such a relief, after years of holding my body up against commercial clothes and coming up disappointed, to know that there will be a garment made especially for my shape.

3. To wonder at the skill of a writer who can sustain a first person narrative in which the reader can see what the character cannot. (I've got an audiobook of Kazuo Ishiguro's An Artist of the Floating World on the go).

Escape, tulips and samosa.

1. This morning, I'm piling into a car with friends to escape into the Weald, where we will visit a garden planted with 45,000 tulips. 2...