Friday, August 03, 2012

Mutton, for the weekend and learning.

1. I'm puzzling over a label at the butchers: Bradley Wiggins' chops half price... of course, they are mutton chops, in honour of our gold medalist's splendid sideburns.

2. To have two stews in the oven, cooking for the weekend.

3. I've signed up for one of those there MOOCs (massive open online courses) about fantasy and science fiction. The system appears to be in beta, veering at times towards alpha, and the forums are full of angry people -- but I'm reading familiar texts in that deep, disciplined manner that reveals magical details and strange tastes and textures. And I've found friendly people who have invited me to off-forum discussions where we discuss these discoveries.

Book treasure, worn and speaker.

1. Finding treasure in the Oxfam bookshop. I only popped in to look for a card. 2. Bettany doesn't wear makeup out and about, but noneth...