Friday, January 01, 2010

Baking, vintage and small melancholy.

Happy New Year, everyone. I'm looking forward to an exciting 2010.

I've set myself some resolutions for January: I'm going to podcast every week on a Friday; and I'm going to get my beautiful things up by 8.10am on weekdays (today is a bank holiday, so it doesn't count); I'm going to review the regular 3BTers on a Monday.

I'll look at how I'm doing at the end of the month and see if I need to tweak this routine.

I also want to encourage more people to write their own beautiful things. The Roll of Honour stands at 160 today -- I'd like to get it up to 200 by the end of the year (that's allowing for losses during clean-ups).

The podcast is up -- with a bonus beautiful thing that I forgot when I came to post yesterday.

1. I set the breadmaker up late last night. In the morning, the smell of warm bread creeps in from the kitchen and climbs into bed with us.

2. Katie gives me a photo frame that is a marvel of decayed art deco. It is mirrored, but the glass has a patina of oily-looking rust, like the flecks of mica in granite. I look closer still, and each fleck is shaped like a fan fungus and marked like a fingerprint.

3. A documentary about Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin, who created The Clangers, Bagpuss, Ivor the Engine and Noggin. I still love the gentle melancholy of these little programmes, and the kindly warmth of Oliver Postgate's voice. I think they taught me when I was still quite small that sadness is nothing to be afraid of, and can be explored and examined and tasted and understood as much as any other experience.

Done, moon and Irish fairy tales.

1. A meeting that is over by 9.30am. 2. A big full moon is stuck on next door's chimney pots. 3. By my bed is a large and comforting boo...