Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Apple, a joke and tin can.

1. She marks her apple with a ring of identical white bites.

2. Alec has been doing something rather odd -- a theatrical startle at nothing, with wide eyes and arms thrown up, followed by a huge grin. I ask the health visitor (I'm not worried, just curious). She says "Oh bless him! We just don't know what they're thinking... Do you smile at him?" And I remember that early on when everything was new and I was scared of him being scared, I would try to laugh when a harmless thing made him jump -- so he would know he was safe. Are you making your first joke, Alec? I like it very much, and it never gets old.

3. I'm awfully glad I paid a bit more for a galvanised steel watering can because it looks so much better than the plastic version. Form trumps function when you don't have much storage space.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...