Thursday, August 18, 2011

Getting on with life, waving and the gift.

1. I take Alec up the hill to the office -- the work needs doing, and I have no childcare today. He sits in the sling and I give him a cloth book to proofread while I work off the screen. Apart from slapping the keyboard once or twice, his behaviour is exemplary. I do the work and walk home again. When more work comes in, I return -- several times. I don't suppose I'll be able to do this once Alec is stronger and heavier, though.

2. "He waved at me just now," says the production editor when I tell him that Alec doesn't do waving yet. Perhaps he did -- he's acquiring skills all the time now, and it's hard to see what he's up to sometimes.

3. I come back from the NCT meet-up to find a gift of vegetables and herbs on the doorstep. There is no message -- but they are in a bag from a particular delicatessen that is favoured by that keen and kindly gardener Plutarch.

Eggshell, turkey oak and grateful.

1. Smacking a hardboiled egg to break the shell. 2. Pale green leaves on the huge oak tree at the corner of The Grove. 3. There is nothing q...