Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Donation, end of the party and bowing.

1. A mother friend mentions that she is preparing to donate part of her liver to her son. She brings it up almost casually, like it's no big deal. Of course it is: it's major surgery, with all sorts of risks. But I realise that I would do the same for Alec. The bond of blood and love between us would make the choice for me.*

2. The tulips at Tonbridge Castle have blown themselves out into gorgeous blousey ragged red cups. They remind me of elderly bon vivants hanging around at the end of a party.

3. A tourist seems to be bowing Japanese-style -- but when I look properly he is trying to shade the sun off his camera screen so he can examine his pictures.

* If you're in the UK and would like to be on the NHS organ donor register it takes about 45 seconds to sign up.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...