Thursday, May 23, 2013

Dressing, patisserie and a book.

1. Most mornings, if he doesn't sleep late, Alec "helps" Nick dress, following him from room to room. From the man chatter that I overhear as I doze in bed I understand that Alec always has to have a shave, too, and cleans the razor. I really appreciate the extra rest.

2. Alec picks out a fancy cake for Nana at the patisserie. "She's having a hard time at the moment," I say.
"Would she like a ribbon on the box? A pink one?" asks the girl behind the counter.
We think she would.

3. Nick brings me a present that I didn't know I wanted. It's a weighty, glossy book about an exhibition that I wanted to see but couldn't.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...